Xubuntu Edgy – Upgrade SuccessSeptember 6, 2006 at 8:23 pm | Posted in reviews, xubuntu | 34 Comments
Maybe “success” isn’t the right word. I had so much Xorg breakage I had to
sudo dpkg -P --force-depends half my installation. But nevertheless, I got it up and running.
Here’s what to expect in Xubuntu Edgy:
1) Desktop icons. Icons for Home, File System and Trash are enabled by default. Right clicking on them gives you an icon properties setting, and a Gnome-like desktop setting submenu. Your custom actions in Thunar are also in the right-click menu.
2) New and Improved Xarchiver with a File Roller-like extract dialog, and better add file to archive dialogs.
3) Firefox. The search engine selector on the right-hand side is more noticable (and nicer looking), there’s a better looking default theme, a built-in spell checker, a history submenu, and more. You may lose your extensions.
4) Smooth fonts!
5) Nicer, glossier icons all around , especially the Ok button.
6) Tons of beta software bound to break. Fun!
7) A usplash specially made to look terrible. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!
And finally, last but definiately not least:
Typable file selector dialogs!! You still have to click Open afterwards, but man, is it worth it.